Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Maïzena koekjes


Maïzena koekjes (also referred to as "gomma koekjes") are sweet light cookies made from corn flour. Some people also add custard to their mix but I prefer them without.

In the shop's you'll often find the cookies piped or pressed in pretty flower shapes. The home-style ones my mom used to make were just little patted down balls with fork-added texture. Nowadays I often use a cookie cutter to make them in whatever shape fits my mood. An old lady once told me that way back in the days they were made in little ball-like shapes as well.

Unfortunately my stand mixer was out playing at my sis' so I had to use an old school hand mixer :(
But my cookies turned out perfect! Was actually very surprised on how easy to use the cookie press was.
I had tried it out before, but apparently hadn't used it correctly cause it didn't really work for me back then. Today it was easy breezy. I'm so impressed with the effort-result-ratio that I think I might be using it a lot more in the future!



Ingredients:
  • 125 gr butter (softened)
  • 125 gr sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1egg
  • 250 gr corn flour
  • sprinkles
  • waxed paper

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven at 170 Celsius.
  2. Mix butter, vanilla and sugar together until fluffy. Then add in the egg and continue mixing until sugar is completely incorporated.
  3. Bit by bit add the corn flour to your butter mixture and continue mixing until well blended. The dough needs to be soft and flexible, but you'll need to be able to handle it without it sticking to your hands.
  4. start plus egg plus corn flour cookie dough
  5. For easy fast cookies:
  6. Make little balls with your hand, about 2 cm in diameter. Place them on waxed paper and pat them down with a fork.
    ball cookie balls press down cookie texture
    For cookie cutter:
    Dust your table/counter with some corn flour. Roll out the cookie dough (about 5 mm thick) and cut out your desired shape with the cookie cutter. Transfer cut out cookie to the waxed paper.

    dough ball cut out cookie cookies
    For cookie press:
    Fill cookie press with batter and... press!
    *For the best cookies, you'll need slightly softer cookie dough than you'd need when making cookies by hand.
    press shape press cookie press! cookies pressed
  7. Scatter some sprinkles on top. If the sprinkles don't stick, try very lightly brushing the cookies with some water and try again.
  8. forked cut out pressed
  9. Bake cookies in oven in about 20 min or until just lightly browned.
  10. forked & baked cut out & baked pressed & baked

No comments:

Post a Comment